As time goes by, my life continues to be HIGHLY filled by music. I am really listening to music nearly every waking moment. But that does not mean I am listening to as much music (different artists, that is) as I used to. As time passes, I find myself settling around a few albums and artists that I go back to regularly. In 2010, these were the albums I played the most:
- Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – The Social Network OST was haunting me for weeks… it still does. Ironic I haven’t seen the movie yet! 🙂
- Other Machines: my friend Mike Olsen from Full Sail put out a new album of music this year. Impeccable stuff, just like his earlier album while I was still in Florida.
- Jónsi: his new album is a great continuation of his work with Sigur Ros and Riceboy Sleeps. Some moments in here that I keep going back to over and over again.
- Hans Zimmer: the Inception OST was another regular play in 2010. I am addicted to the music as much as I am addicted to the movie.
- Hammock: their new album and their December EP are brilliant. Check out their new collaboration with Matthew Ryan, released on New Year’s Day, 2011.
- The Candlepark Stars: these guys are my favorite discovery this year. They are right in the middle, between Explosions in the Sky and Hammock… LOVE THEM!
A few more albums I liked (nearly all from Canada):
- The Arcade Fire: The Suburbs
- Broken Bells: self-titled
- Stars: The Five Ghosts & The Seance
- The New Pornographers: Together
- Caribou: Swim
- Robin Guthrie: Sunflower Stories
Some tracks I enjoyed:
- Peter Gabriel: “Flume”
- Underworld: “Always Loved a Film”
- Belle and Sebastian: “I Didn’t See It Coming”
- Silvio Rodriguez: “Trovador Antiguo”
- Gorillaz: “Stylo (feat. Mos Def & Bobby Womack)”